Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Melanie Parke

"Black Bowl and Fish 2011 Oil on Canvas 20"x20"

"Vessels and Flowers" 2011 Oil on Canvas 30"x24"

"Blue Vase Island" 2011 Oil on Canvas 20"x20"

















Looking Through Windows
I craft structures on the surface to reference a lush and gorgeous piece of time.

Painting is a pleasure seeking process for me, and abstraction a vehicle with which to think. My paintings are provoked by romantic notions of idyllic natural environments that sometimes scuffle with urban anxieties. Then the paintings are taken to abstraction, memory, and non objective imagery. I set up the space with gestural and heavily spackled marks that are lushly textural and intuitively applied to the surface. Then slowly build. When I come to the problem of finding strategies to layer visual content, I choose colors to depict concise temperate or extreme sensations. Specific interiors and landscapes are often implied; abrupt shifts in mark making can question if such a place exists. This is a way of establishing a perceivable memory while washing it away at the same time.